June 12 marks the Philippine Independence Day and as we, Filipinos, celebrate this special day, here are a few things you need to know about your country:
1. El Hogar (The Home) was the first women’s magazine published in Philippines in 1893.
2. Fort San Pedro was the center of the first Spanish settlement in the Philippines.
3. Aimee Carandang is the first Filipina to become a commercial plane pilot.
4. Jose P. Laurel has 9 children which is the most children among all the Philippine presidents.
5. The most translated Philippine poem is Mi Ultimo Adios.
6. The original Philippine flag was made of silk and sewn in Hong Kong.
9. Luzon is the biggest island (141,3 95 sq km) among the 7,107 Philippine islands and islets.
10. Luneta Hotel is the oldest multi-storied building in the Philippines.